Notice: We remain committed to protecting our clients during the COVID-19 crisis. Our law firm is OPEN and available to assist new and existing clients. Please call us today to schedule a phone or video consultation with an attorney.

Learn More About Immigration from Our Immigration Blog. Dedicated to Protecting Your Immigration Rights

Senate Immigration Bill and Path to Citizenship

A Group of 8 Senators, known as the “Gang of 8″, both Republican and Democrat, have devised a new immigration path to citizenship.

The three ways to get your green card are:

  1. Dreamer
  2. Standard Path
  3. Agricultural Worker

All paths require registration as a Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI)


Under this path to citizenship, the fastest track to citizenship is 5 years (5 yearsto get green card, then apply for citizenship). You must have been under the age of 16 when you came to the US and have completed high school or got your GED. Also, you must have completed 2 years of college or served in the US military for 4 years. You may also be required to pay back taxes if you worked at any time and did not pay taxes. 

Standard Path

Under this path, the fastest track to citizenship is 13 years. Your RPI status will last 6 years before you must reapply. To reapply for RPI status, you must not have been unemployed for more than 60 days or haven’t spent more than 180 days out of the country AND you aren’t likely to become a public charge, AND your income is higher than the federal poverty level for all six years. After 10 years, you can apply for your green card if you you met all the requirements listed and your income has been 125% of the poverty guideline for the last 6 years. After 3 years as a green card holder (Legal Permanent Resident), you can apply for Citizenship.

Agriculture Worker

This track is also known as the “Blue Card” path. Under this path, the fastest track to citizenship is 8 years. To qualify for this track, you must have worked 100 days between 2011 and 2012 as an agricultural worker. You will receive your Blue Card, then after 5 years, you can apply for your green card if you performed agricultural work for at least 150 days for 3 out of the last 5 years as a Blue Card holder. You must pay any back taxes if you worked and did not file taxes. Three years after you receive your green card, you can apply for Citizenship.


You  must first register as a Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI). Also you must meet the requirements below:

  • never been convicted of a felony
  • never been convicted of 3 or more misdemeanors
  • never been convicted of unlawful voting
  • never been convicted of an offense under foreign law
  • not be considered a potential terrorist by DHS
  • not arrived in the US in 2012 or 2013
  • not lived in another country in 2012 or 2013
  • paid all back taxes if worked in US and not paid taxes in US


Contact Immigration Attorney Jennifer A. Correro at (713) 974-1151 

Office/ Ofincina:

Jennifer A. Correro

2909 Hillcroft, Suite 350

Houston, Texas 77057

About these ads